I don't know what my photos are "about"!?

 

    This is a hard thing to admit, but I’m not sure what my photos are about. I know what they are photos of, but not really what they are about. My photographic approach is very simple. I go on a hike in a beautiful place, and when I see something that I like I work the scene a little, find a good angle and take a picture. I have a pretty good grasp of the technical side of things. I know my exposure triangle, I can previsualize my image. I know if I will need to focus stack or use a long exposure, or an exposure blend. I know what I want the image to look like, I know how to get that result. What I am uncertain of is why am I taking this photo? I know it is a pretty scene, I know that it looks nice, but is that enough? 


    I tend to think that it is. Sometimes, “Because it’s pretty” is enough. My photo is about beauty. It is that simple. There does not need to be some deep philosophical meaning to that photo, no strong political or environmental message behind the image. I do of course hope that people will appreciate the beauty, and be motivated to enjoy the landscape, and perhaps try to protect even a small piece of it. For me, the enjoyment of the landscape is what the photo is about. Shapes, colors, patterns simplistic nature. It is about the enjoyment of it all. And that is what it is all about. 



What do you think? Do Photos need to have a meaning or a message behind them? Or is it enough to be an image of a beautiful thing? Let me know in the comments.


Thanks as always, be kind and enjoy.



You can see more of my work at www.ToddHPhoto.com


Comments

  1. For the most part we do it for ourselves, if we like it that is all that counts, and I assume you are happy with your work, it looks good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iain, I could not agree more. I think it really has become about getting out and creating something, anything really, and as long as I am happy, that is what matters most.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Looking Back, My favorite Image of the year.

Fighting a Funk!