THE GRANDEUR OF LITTLE THINGS

 



Recently on my photographic outings, I have been looking down a lot! Looking for small details, looking for the patterns in tree bark, the colors of the lichen on the rocks, a collection of perfect mushrooms, the dewdrops on a fallen leaf. All the while I have almost completely ignored the grand landscapes surrounding me. Not because they weren’t beautiful, they most certainly were.      



    




 Instead of photographing the grand sweeping vistas, I was focused (pun intended) on small details. It is, after all, the little things that make up the Grand Landscape. I would get lost in the twisting patterns of tree bark. I can imagine a far-off planet in the ridges and valleys of the rocks. The small detail leaves so much to the imagination. I think that is what I like most about them. I am so often impressed by the things that mother nature can do. The way a tree will bend around a rock, or the way rock formations resemble an alien world.





    I love these small intimate details, not because of the story they tell about their surroundings,(which they certainly do) but because of the stories that the viewer can create for themselves when they see them. Every individual viewer can have their own unique experience, and create a story that is all their own.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I don't know what my photos are "about"!?

Looking Back, My favorite Image of the year.

Fighting a Funk!